Skip to main content

Contractor

I'm currently working as a resident contractor at an aerospace company. I've been in this industry for 10 years. I'm definitely glad to have a job. But man, I do wish I could get hired on as a regular, full-time employee again with more pay. I took a 27.5% pay cut from my last job in CA to this one in IN. Major bummer. My budget has really been impacted. It hurts!

People say it's ok 'cause the cost of living is lower in IN. But I say it's relative. The rent may be slightly cheaper, but not by that much. Everything at the mall still costs the same. Tax is only 0.75% less at 7%. The only thing that noticeably costs less are movie tix, lol. And I still have some of my CA bills!

Anyway, I digress. I had forgotten what it's like to be a contractor. Less benefits, less pay. But it gets you in the door. A lot of companies strictly go through employment/placement agencies now. I hadn't been a contractor in like over 8 years when I moved last year. That sense of security I was used to having is somewhat lacking now because I feel almost disposable as an outsourced person.

I'm not saying anything bad about my agency. After all, it's how I got placed at my last job in CA. And it's how I became a resident contractor at my present job in IN in my same industry. I'm grateful. I just don't like being treated differently in the workplace. After all, I'm not entry-level, people.

I like what I do for the most part. I like working in the ERP system and supporting configuration management. I just need more moolah and less drama, hehehe.

I know times are hard for all of us. The economy is bad. Unemployment is high. Job opportunities are scarce. And we're still at war. I don't mean to bitch. I just need to vent a little.

My little sister Cay is not in the best financial situation either. Please consider helping donate to her personal cause.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog